If you’ve been injured in an accident, you may find yourself in need of a Plano personal injury lawyer. The right attorney will be able to provide answers to your questions and guide you through the legal process.
The first step in finding an experienced personal injury lawyer is to do your research. Look for lawyers who specialize in personal injury law and are highly rated by clients and peers. Ask friends, family, and colleagues for recommendations if possible.
You can also check online resources such as Avvo or Super Lawyers for reviews of local attorneys. Once you have some options, you can set up free consultations. Here are some of the most important questions to ask:
Background and Experience
The first thing to consider when looking for a personal injury or car accident lawyer is their background and experience. Here are some questions to ask:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- What percentage of your practice is dedicated to personal injury cases? It’s important that your attorney focuses primarily on personal injury cases so they understand the nuances of this type of law.
- Have you handled cases similar to mine? Ask about their past successes in similar cases and look for attorneys who specialize in your type of claim (for example, car accident or medical malpractice).
Legal Strategy and Case Evaluation
Once you’ve established an attorney’s background and they’ve had a chance to look over your claim, it’s time to discuss their strategy and evaluation of your case:
- What is your assessment of my case? You want a lawyer who will be honest with you about any potential challenges as well as any areas where they believe they can win a settlement or verdict on your behalf.
- Do you think the case will go to trial? No lawyer can answer this question for sure, but they may be able to give you a good idea if they expect a settlement or if your case would likely go to trial.
Fees and Expenses
A critical aspect of choosing a personal injury lawyer is understanding fees and expenses. When interviewing potential attorneys, make sure to ask these essential questions:
- Do you work on a contingency fee basis? Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they receive payment only if they win the case or settle out of court. This type of arrangement can provide relief for those who are unable to pay their legal bills upfront.
- What percentage of the settlement or award do you take as your fee? This is an important question because it will give you an idea of how much money you can expect from any settlement or legal award. Most lawyers charge between 33% and 40% depending on the complexity of the case and other factors such as trial costs.
- What costs and expenses can I expect throughout the process? Many people don’t realize that there are additional costs beyond attorney fees associated with filing a personal injury lawsuit.
These include court filing fees, expert witness fees, investigative costs, etc., which can add up quickly if not managed properly by both parties involved in the case. Make sure your lawyer clearly outlines all expected costs associated with your case so that there are no surprises down the line.
Selecting an experienced and knowledgeable personal injury lawyer is essential to ensure the justice that you’re entitled to. By asking questions upfront, you will know what to expect going forward. For help with any type of personal injury claim, contact us today to schedule a free consultation.